[Incubator] motion: qfield recommendation for osgeo community project initiative

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Jul 26 12:42:16 PDT 2023

Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to make a second motion:
>    Recommending QField for the osgeo community project program.

Last time we discussed this, there were open questions about licensing,
particularly GPL code from qgis going into the app store.  I have seen
no answers to this question.  While I hope there is a good explanation,
we haven't heard anything about why this is compliant.

At

  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/qfield-for-qgis/id1531726814

it says

  Copyright © 2022 OPENGIS.ch

and does not attribute anyone else.  I don't see anything that says it
is GPL.

There is also

  https://github.com/opengisch/QField/issues/122

Until we have a solid answer that the community is comfortable with, and
it's clearly documented on the app store pages and on the web, I don't
see how osgeo can even begin to consider adopting QField as a community
project.

I'm not a voting member, but would obviously be -1 until this is
resovled.  I urge everyone to vote -1 until the licensing situation is
understood and widely agreed to be ok.

>    - Angelos Tzotsos +1 (initial motion)

Angelos: Could you explain why you are +1 despite the open licensing
issue?

Greg