[Incubator] motion: qfield recommendation for osgeo community project initiative

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 12:37:41 PDT 2023

 Greg:

Keep in mind that this entire foundation is an outreach and advocacy
activity - we are here to help :)

It is not a pre-condition to have an open source license chosen or applied
correctly (or even possible). Indeed sorting out this aspect of pen source
is often the bulk of the work a project team does during the incubation
process. This is very explicit it the incubation guidelines with many of
the line items to devoted to checking that an open source license has been
selected and applied correctly.

To that end working with a mentor (in private) is an appropriate way to
handle questions that have legal consequences (such as cases where an open
source license may not be possible).

(So need to change incubation process here)

The osgeo "community program" does not have a good approach, and our
example of trying to work with qgield here (and you feeling ignored) shows
a risk of damaging relationships rather than being supportive.  I am afraid
the majority of license questions are not suited to public discussion, much
like security vulnerabilities they are best shared when a solution is
known.

My proposal is that we have some video meetings for such topics, and
interested parties such as yourself volunteer to take part in the
incubation committee.