<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p dir="auto">All of the links and details are still valid.</p>
    <p dir="auto">From 9th May 2023 <a
href="https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2023-May/004656.html"
        data-markdown-generated-content="" rel="nofollow"
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2023-May/004656.html</a></p>
    <blockquote>
      <p dir="auto">This motion did not pass in the allocated time. I
        would like to ask<br>
        another volunteer to review.</p>
      <p dir="auto">We had one question come up during voting on license
        compatibility that is<br>
        interesting but may not be suitable for public discussion.</p>
      <p dir="auto">Jody</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p dir="auto">The licensing question was: <a
href="https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2023-April/004648.html"
        data-markdown-generated-content="" rel="nofollow"
        class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2023-April/004648.html</a></p>
    <blockquote>
      <p dir="auto">I don't get to vote, but I have had a question about
        qfield for a long<br>
        time that I have never seen an answer for. I am 99% sure I have
        asked<br>
        about it on one of the qgis lists in the past.</p>
      <p dir="auto">The license for qgis is GPL2, and qfield has the
        same license. qfield<br>
        appears to contain qgis code. That's all fine.</p>
      <p dir="auto">The android app is distributed under GPL2
        presumably, but I don't see<br>
        that mentioned in the google play store. That's a minor issue
        and<br>
        easily fixed, assuming that there aren't proprietary android
        libraries<br>
        (e.g. Google Play services) bundled in.</p>
      <p dir="auto">The iOS app is presumably also GPL2, but as I
        understand it, that's not<br>
        allowed in the apple app store, and the Apple app store's terms
        prohibit<br>
        redistribution of the app one obtains, which is incompatible
        with GPL2.<br>
        Often software that was Free before it goes into the Apple app
        store has<br>
        a special license from the copyright holders to be able to be<br>
        distributed under the non-Free license required by Apple. But
        with code<br>
        from qgis -- since it has no such exception -- I don't
        understand how<br>
        this is working.</p>
      <p dir="auto">Thus, I don't understand the licensing situation. My
        specific<br>
        questions:</p>
      <p dir="auto">Is the license for qfield straight GPL2, as the repo
        indicates, or<br>
        something else?</p>
      <p dir="auto">Does qfield contain qgis code, such that it's a
        derived work?</p>
      <p dir="auto">If so, is qgis straight GPL2?</p>
      <p dir="auto">Is the Android binary under GPL2, with only Free
        software as sources?</p>
      <p dir="auto">Is the iOS binary on gitub under GPL2, with only
        Free software as<br>
        sources?</p>
      <p dir="auto">How is the iOS binary being distributed in the Apple
        app store?</p>
      <p dir="auto">Thanks,<br>
        Greg</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p dir="auto">I don't know the details of the licensing question, or
      whether this is still valid.</p>
    <p dir="auto">Therefore I propose to make a motion to accept QField
      as an OSGeo Community Project</p>
    <p dir="auto">The motion is held open for two weeks until Thursday 2
      April and<br>
      requires at least 50% quorum from the following Committee Members:</p>
    <pre><code> - Angelos Tzotsos
 - Arnulf Christl
 - Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
 - Brian M Hamlin
 - Daniel Morissette
 - Dimitris Kotzinos
 - Frank Warmerdam
 - Jo Cook
 - Jody Garnett
 - Michael Smith
 - Nick Bearman +1
 - Regina Obe
 - Steve Lime
 - Tom Kralidis
</code></pre>
    <p dir="auto">I am happy with this, and am starting with a +1</p>
    <p dir="auto">Thanks<br>
      Nick.</p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 27/01/2026 17:46, Angelos Tzotsos
      via Incubator wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:2611efb4-8bdf-41a4-8490-c4af8503a0f5@gmail.com"><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://gitea.osgeo.org/osgeo/projects-support/issues/9">https://gitea.osgeo.org/osgeo/projects-support/issues/9</a>
      <br>
      <br>
      On 4/21/23 20:34, Jody Garnett wrote:
      <br>
      <blockquote type="cite">I would like to make a motion:
        <br>
            Recommending QField for the osgeo community project program.
        <br>
        <br>
        The motion is held open for two weeks, until May 5th 2023.
        <br>
        <br>
            - Bob (CI-StPaul) Basques
        <br>
            - Arnulf Christl
        <br>
            - Jo Cook
        <br>
            - Jody Garnett +1 (initial motion)
        <br>
            - Dimitris Kotzinos
        <br>
            - Tom Kralidis
        <br>
            - Michael Smith
        <br>
            - Steve Lime
        <br>
            - Daniel Morissette
        <br>
            - Frank Warmerdam
        <br>
            - Angelos Tzotsos
        <br>
        <br>
        <br>
        Checking the project against our requirements
        <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Committee#Step_2:_Join_Community_Projects_Program"><https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Committee#Step_2:_Join_Community_Projects_Program></a>
        <br>
        :
        <br>
        <br>
        1. Be geospatial
        <br>
        - Confirm by checking README or project description
        <br>
        - project page on the osgeo website
        <br>
        - We ask projects have some user documentation, for example an
        OSGeo Live
        <br>
        quickstart
        <br>
        <br>
        Most of this was checked for website requirements. There is nice
        user
        <br>
        documentation (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://docs.qfield.org/get-started/">https://docs.qfield.org/get-started/</a>).
        <br>
        <br>
        <br>
        2. Have a free license or an open source license.
        <br>
        - The license must be OSI approved
        <br>
        - We ask that the project team check the file headers and double
        check the
        <br>
        license has been appropriately applied
        <br>
        <br>
        GPL2 is provided in docs
        (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://docs.qfield.org/get-started/license/">https://docs.qfield.org/get-started/license/</a>) and
        <br>
        source code
        (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://github.com/opengisch/QField/blob/master/LICENSE">https://github.com/opengisch/QField/blob/master/LICENSE</a>).
        <br>
        <br>
        The team has automated check that license is applied (
        <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://github.com/opengisch/QField/blob/master/scripts/licensecheck.pl">https://github.com/opengisch/QField/blob/master/scripts/licensecheck.pl</a>)
        <br>
        which is really cool.
        <br>
        <br>
        3. Welcome participation and new contributors.
        <br>
        - We look for a clear contribution policy
        <br>
        - We ask that the project demonstrate collaboration, perhaps
        with a history
        <br>
        of bug report or pull requests
        <br>
        - Projects are required to have a code of conduct
        <br>
        <br>
        Contribution policy (
        <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://github.com/opengisch/QField/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md">https://github.com/opengisch/QField/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md</a>),
        <br>
        collaboration
        (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://github.com/opengisch/QField/pulls?q=is%3Apr">https://github.com/opengisch/QField/pulls?q=is%3Apr</a>), and
        <br>
        code of conduct (
        <br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://github.com/opengisch/QField/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md">https://github.com/opengisch/QField/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md</a>) all
        <br>
        seem in order.
        <br>
        <br>
        --
        <br>
        Jody Garnett
        <br>
        <br>
        <br>
        _______________________________________________
        <br>
        Incubator mailing list
        <br>
        <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Incubator@lists.osgeo.org">Incubator@lists.osgeo.org</a>
        <br>
        <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/incubator">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/incubator</a>
        <br>
      </blockquote>
      <br>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Nick Bearman
+44 (0) 7717745715
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:nick@nickbearman.com">nick@nickbearman.com</a>

Please let me know if I can make any adjustments related to disability or neurodivergence to improve how we interact.

Due to my own life/work balance, you may get emails from me outside of normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside of your own working pattern.</pre>
  </body>
</html>