<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr">Hi Nick/Even - <div></div><div><br></div><div>One of the main reasons for applying for the OSGeo Community Project status is to help with product direction and attract other contributors, using AI agents or otherwise. </div><div><br></div><div>I agree adding a section in CONTRIBUTING.md (human accountability, etc) makes sense; I also think having some standards for AGENTS.md is probably something to consider (testing, scope, and security expectations). I'm glad to do any of these if that is the direction the community aligns with. </div><div><br></div><div>I appreciate the discussion regardless of the outcome for GeoLens here. </div><div><br></div></div>Ian<div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 3:45 AM Even Rouault <<a href="mailto:even.rouault@spatialys.com" target="_blank">even.rouault@spatialys.com</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

  
    
  
  <div>
    <p>Looking at
<a href="https://github.com/geolens-io/geolens/graphs/contributors?from=27%2F06%2F2026" target="_blank">https://github.com/geolens-io/geolens/graphs/contributors?from=27%2F06%2F2026</a>
      , you can see that there were 4 other committers than Ian
      (excluding dependabot), contributing a grand total of 7 commits
      compared to Ian's 1095, and looking at their commits, it is clear
      (from the verbosity of the commit message) that 3 of them also
      used an agent.  So the collaboration space is limited to people
      using agents.</p>
    <div>Le 29/09/2026 à 08:35, Nick Bearman via
      Incubator a écrit :<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite">
      <div dir="auto">Hello,<br>
        <br>
        Here are my thoughts. <br>
        <br>
        The board said they are not banning or enforcing the use if AI,
        it is up to individual projects. They didn't say about use of AI
        in Communtiy Projects. <br>
        <br>
        I suggest we apply the rest of the criteria - which, if memory
        serves incudes that the project shows collaboration:<br>
        <br>
        <<a href="https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Committee#Step_2:_Join_OSGeo_Community_Projects_Initiative" target="_blank">https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Committee#Step_2:_Join_OSGeo_Community_Projects_Initiative</a>><br>
        <br>
        We ask that the project demonstrate collaboration, perhaps with
        a history of bug report or pull requests.<br>
        <br>
        So I think this project qualifies. I've not reviewed everything
        else but assuming it does then I think it is ok. <br>
        <br>
        Please do share more thoughts everyone!<br>
        <br>
        My personal opinion is that it would be worth making clear how
        you used AI coding agents Ian. Perhaps this is something to add
        to the README or CONTRINUTING  files?<br>
        <br>
        Best wishes<br>
        Nick. <br>
        <br>
        <br>
      </div>
      <br>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="auto">On 28 September 2026 23:03:19 BST, Jody Garnett
          via Incubator <a href="mailto:incubator@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank"><incubator@lists.osgeo.org></a> wrote:</div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote">
          <div dir="ltr"> The board has not really provided guidance on
            vibe coding. </div>
          <div dir="ltr"><br>
          </div>
          <div dir="ltr">My own personal opinion is that open source
            requires collaboration - the test our incubation process has
            is to have input from several organizations (not just
            several developers) in order to offer users some assurance
            that a project will be sustained. With that in mind, while I
            am okay with AI being used for assistance / reference, it
            has some weakness from the sustainability angle.</div>
          <div dir="ltr"><br>
          </div>
          <div dir="ltr">The above is my own take only; there was some
            osgeo discussion over the summer but I did not understand
            the result.</div>
          <div dir="ltr">
            <div>
              <div class="gmail_signature">
                <div dir="ltr">
                  <div dir="ltr">
                    <div>- -<br>
                    </div>
                    <div>Jody Garnett</div>
                  </div>
                </div>
              </div>
            </div>
            <br>
          </div>
          <br>
          <div class="gmail_quote">
            <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Sep 28, 2026 at
              2:55:04 PM, Ian Shiland <<a href="mailto:ishiland@gmail.com" target="_blank">ishiland@gmail.com</a>>
              wrote:<br>
            </div>
            <blockquote class="gmail_quote" type="cite">
              <div dir="ltr">Hi Even,  
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div>Yes. AI coding agents, mainly Claude Code with
                  Codex as a reviewer, write most of GeoLens with
                  guidance from me. </div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div>If this is grounds for ineligibility, I'll withdraw
                  the page submission. </div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div>Ian</div>
              </div>
              <br>
              <div class="gmail_quote">
                <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Mon, Sep 28, 2026
                  at 5:27 PM Even Rouault <<a href="mailto:even.rouault@spatialys.com" target="_blank">even.rouault@spatialys.com</a>>
                  wrote:<br>
                </div>
                <blockquote class="gmail_quote">
                  <div>
                    <p>Hi,</p>
                    <p>@Ian looking at the commit history and pull
                      request history, this is obviously vibe coded. Can
                      you confirm ?</p>
                    <p>@Jody  Is this OK for vibe coded projects to be
                      community projects ?</p>
                    <p>Even</p>
                    <div>Le 28/09/2026 à 23:15, Ian Shiland via
                      Incubator a écrit :<br>
                    </div>
                    <blockquote type="cite">
                      <div dir="ltr">Hi Jody,<br>
                        <br>
                        <div>Thanks for the access. The GeoLens project
                          page is now submitted for review. I left the
                          project type as None for now and will switch
                          it to Community Project once the committee
                          confirms. Let me know if anything on the page
                          needs changing.</div>
                        <div><br>
                        </div>
                        <div>Ian</div>
                      </div>
                      <br>
                      <div class="gmail_quote">
                        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Mon, Sep
                          28, 2026 at 12:33 PM Jody Garnett <<a href="mailto:jody.garnett@gmail.com" target="_blank">jody.garnett@gmail.com</a>>
                          wrote:<br>
                        </div>
                        <blockquote class="gmail_quote">
                          <div>
                            <div dir="ltr"> Hi Ian,</div>
                            <div dir="ltr"><br>
                            </div>
                            <div dir="ltr">I added you as project author
                              role, so you should be able to create a
                              page now!<br>
                              <div>
                                <div class="gmail_signature">
                                  <div dir="ltr">
                                    <div dir="ltr">
                                      <div>- -<br>
                                      </div>
                                      <div>Jody Garnett</div>
                                    </div>
                                  </div>
                                </div>
                              </div>
                              <br>
                            </div>
                            <br>
                            <div class="gmail_quote">
                              <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Sep
                                20, 2026 at 7:42:07 AM, Ian Shiland <<a href="mailto:ishiland@gmail.com" target="_blank">ishiland@gmail.com</a>>
                                wrote:<br>
                              </div>
                              <blockquote class="gmail_quote" type="cite">
                                <div dir="ltr">Hi Jody, 
                                  <div><br>
                                  </div>
                                  <div>I’ve confirmed that my OSGeo
                                    account, ishiland, still cannot
                                    access the Projects dashboard - it
                                    returns a permission error. Could
                                    you enable project-author access and
                                    confirm the current status of
                                    GeoLens’s Community<br>
                                    Project application? The listing
                                    content and logo are ready. </div>
                                  <div><br>
                                  </div>
                                  <div>Thanks, </div>
                                  <div>Ian</div>
                                </div>
                                <br>
                                <div class="gmail_quote">
                                  <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On
                                    Sun, Aug 23, 2026 at 1:42 PM Ian
                                    Shiland <<a href="mailto:ishiland@gmail.com" target="_blank">ishiland@gmail.com</a>>
                                    wrote:<br>
                                  </div>
                                  <blockquote class="gmail_quote">
                                    <div dir="ltr">Hi Jody,<br>
                                      <br>
                                      I have an OSGeo user id now: <b>ishiland</b>.
                                      Regina sent a mantra through
                                      sysadmin, so registration is done
                                      and a profile has been created. <br>
                                      <br>
                                      Thanks,<br>
                                      Ian<br>
                                    </div>
                                    <br>
                                    <div class="gmail_quote">
                                      <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On
                                        Sat, Aug 22, 2026 at 1:57 PM Ian
                                        Shiland <<a href="mailto:ishiland@gmail.com" target="_blank">ishiland@gmail.com</a>>
                                        wrote:<br>
                                      </div>
                                      <blockquote class="gmail_quote">
                                        <div dir="ltr">Hi Jody, I've
                                          requested a mantra from <a href="mailto:mantra-request@osgeo.org" target="_blank">mantra-request@osgeo.org</a> so I can
                                          create the account. I'll send
                                          the user id as soon as it
                                          comes through.<br>
                                          <br>
                                          <div>Thanks,<br>
                                            Ian</div>
                                        </div>
                                        <br>
                                        <div class="gmail_quote">
                                          <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri,
                                            Aug 21, 2026 at 1:33 PM Jody
                                            Garnett <<a href="mailto:jody.garnett@gmail.com" target="_blank">jody.garnett@gmail.com</a>> wrote:<br>
                                          </div>
                                          <blockquote class="gmail_quote">
                                            <div>
                                              <div dir="ltr"> Hi Ian,</div>
                                              <div dir="ltr"><br>
                                              </div>
                                              <div dir="ltr">Please
                                                provide your osgeo user
                                                id, and sign into the <a href="http://osgeo.org" target="_blank">osgeo.org</a> website
                                                to fill in your profile
                                                information. Then I can
                                                grant the profile
                                                permission to make a new
                                                project page.</div>
                                              <div dir="ltr"><br>
                                              </div>
                                              <div dir="ltr">For more
                                                information see: <a href="https://www.osgeo.org/community/getting-started-osgeo/add-a-project/" target="_blank">https://www.osgeo.org/community/getting-started-osgeo/add-a-project/</a></div>
                                              <div dir="ltr"><br>
                                              </div>
                                              <div dir="ltr"><br>
                                                <div>
                                                  <div class="gmail_signature">
                                                    <div dir="ltr">
                                                      <div dir="ltr">
                                                        <div>- -<br>
                                                        </div>
                                                        <div>Jody
                                                          Garnett</div>
                                                      </div>
                                                    </div>
                                                  </div>
                                                </div>
                                                <br>
                                              </div>
                                              <br>
                                              <div class="gmail_quote">
                                                <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On
                                                  Aug 21, 2026 at
                                                  6:33:34 AM, Ian
                                                  Shiland via Incubator
                                                  <<a href="mailto:incubator@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">incubator@lists.osgeo.org</a>>
                                                  wrote:<br>
                                                </div>
                                                <blockquote class="gmail_quote" type="cite">
                                                  <div dir="ltr">Hello,<br>
                                                    <br>
                                                    I'd like to apply
                                                    for OSGeo Community
                                                    Project status for
                                                    GeoLens, a
                                                    self-hosted
                                                    geospatial data
                                                    catalog and map
                                                    builder built on
                                                    PostGIS. It ingests
                                                    common vector and
                                                    raster formats,
                                                    serves them through
                                                    OGC API - Features,
                                                    OGC API - Records,
                                                    STAC and DCAT, and
                                                    includes a web map
                                                    builder with vector
                                                    tiles.<br>
                                                    <ul>
                                                      <li>Repository: <a href="https://github.com/geolens-io/geolens" target="_blank">https://github.com/geolens-io/geolens</a> (Apache-2.0)</li>
                                                      <li>User
                                                        documentation: <a href="https://docs.getgeolens.com/" target="_blank">https://docs.getgeolens.com</a></li>
                                                      <li>Live demo: <a href="https://demo.getgeolens.com/" target="_blank">https://demo.getgeolens.com</a></li>
                                                      <li>Contribution
                                                        policy:
                                                        .github/CONTRIBUTING.md
                                                        (DCO)</li>
                                                      <li>Code of
                                                        conduct:
                                                        CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md
                                                        (Contributor
                                                        Covenant)</li>
                                                      <li>Issue tracker
                                                        and discussions:
                                                        public on GitHub</li>
                                                    </ul>
                                                    <div><span>The first
                                                        public release
                                                        was June 2026
                                                        and the project
                                                        has shipped
                                                        regular tagged
                                                        releases since
                                                        (currently
                                                        v1.14.1). The
                                                        repository has
                                                        issues and pull
                                                        requests from
                                                        outside
                                                        contributors,
                                                        and GeoLibre (an
                                                        OpenGeos
                                                        project) ships a
                                                        built-in GeoLens
                                                        integration that
                                                        I've contributed
                                                        fixes back to.</span></div>
                                                    <br>
                                                    If a project listing
                                                    on <a href="http://osgeo.org/" target="_blank">osgeo.org</a> needs
                                                    to exist before this
                                                    application, point
                                                    me at the right
                                                    process and I'll
                                                    take care of it.<br>
                                                    <br>
                                                    Happy to answer any
                                                    questions.<br>
                                                    <br>
                                                    Ian Shiland<br>
                                                  </div>
                                                  <div>
                                                    <div>
                                                      _______________________________________________<br>
                                                      Incubator mailing
                                                      list<br>
                                                      <a href="mailto:Incubator@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">Incubator@lists.osgeo.org</a><br>
                                                      <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/incubator" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/incubator</a><br>
                                                    </div>
                                                  </div>
                                                </blockquote>
                                              </div>
                                            </div>
                                          </blockquote>
                                        </div>
                                      </blockquote>
                                    </div>
                                  </blockquote>
                                </div>
                              </blockquote>
                            </div>
                          </div>
                        </blockquote>
                      </div>
                      <br>
                      <fieldset></fieldset>
                      <pre>_______________________________________________
Incubator mailing list
<a href="mailto:Incubator@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">Incubator@lists.osgeo.org</a>
<a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/incubator" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/incubator</a>
</pre>
                    </blockquote>
                    <pre cols="72">-- 
<a href="http://www.spatialys.com" target="_blank">http://www.spatialys.com</a>
My software is free, but my time generally not.
LLMs contribute to global warming and brain rot.
Let's guillotine them! "Ah ! ça ira, ça ira, ça ira !"</pre>
                  </div>
                </blockquote>
              </div>
            </blockquote>
          </div>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________
Incubator mailing list
<a href="mailto:Incubator@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">Incubator@lists.osgeo.org</a>
<a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/incubator" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/incubator</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <pre cols="72">-- 
<a href="http://www.spatialys.com" target="_blank">http://www.spatialys.com</a>
My software is free, but my time generally not.
LLMs contribute to global warming and brain rot.
Let's guillotine them! "Ah ! ça ira, ça ira, ça ira !"</pre>
  </div>

</blockquote></div>
</div></div>
</div>
</div>