[Inspire-data] inspire-foss project

Just van den Broecke just at justobjects.nl
Mon Jul 26 11:12:41 EDT 2010

Dear All/Jo,

We started this project in Bolsena during the OSGeo Code Sprint. See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vjx06Rlols

Starting point was the INSPIRE work from the Dutch Kadaster. This work
is described here: http://inspire.kademo.nl/doc/

During the Bolsena Code Sprint last June I worked closely with the
deegree developers to have a cleaner implementation with (upcoming)
deegree3. Within 5 minutes we had a WFS supporting _all_ Annex I themes!
We built a simple demo:
http://inspire.kademo.nl/deegree-inspire-demo

In Bolsena we started http://code.google.com/p/inspire-foss and later on
a  companion-project with Geodan http://code.google.com/p/geoext-viewer
which covers the web-client for viewing complex data.

The main goal for the inspire-foss project is to create components for
the entire chain to support INSPIRE Download/View Services (ETL, DB, Web
services via WFS/WMS). The initial setup has worked well within ESDIN
and we have something tangible. The basic idea of the architecture is
simple:

- create (a) PostGIS data model(s) close to Annex I-III data themes
- configure deegree (or GeoServer) to serve INSPIRE-compliant data as
WFS/WMS from this DB
- provide components for ETL such that NMA's can publish their data to
this setup via WFS-T (already working), directly to DB or other means

So we have just begun. Frans is now busy trying to add
GeoGraphicalNames. We have a dev-mailing list at
http://groups.google.com/group/inspire-foss-devel, so anyone who likes
to join is welcome.

Hope this clarifies some. best,

--Just