[Ireland] OpenStreetMap Ireland

Peter Mooney petermooney78 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 07:56:25 PDT 2018

Dear List,

Further to Heikki's email below I am delighted to welcome you all to
Maynooth University tomorrow (Saturday) for this important event. Thanks to
Ciaran Staunton and the OSM Ireland committee for considering our
department for this important event.

My role is to facilitate the meeting and ensure that everything goes
smoothly. So this email will just answer a few questions for those of you
who have not visited our campus before. I mentioned to Ciaran that I'd say
a few words of welcome at the start of the meeting.

Where is the meeting? The meeting will be held in the Eolas Building on the
North Campus [1] of the University. The building is very distinctive from
the outside and is recognizable from its rectangular shape and the large
orange/red stone benches outside the main entrance. The meeting will be
held in Eolas 019 which is on the ground floor. Eolas 019 is essentially
the first door on your right when you enter the Eolas building from the
front/south entrance. This is the MSc Computing lab and teaching facility
and is a very sought after teaching space. It will be very suitable for the
meeting.

Where can I park? Happily, Saturday sees some respite from the parking
congestion problems of week days. There are several car parks around the
North Campus and all of them are within 3 - 4 minutes walk from the Eolas
building. Please note that the access road on the North Campus is one way.
Whilst parking restrictions are lifted at weekends please be sure to park
in a designated parking space.

Public Transportation. Maynooth is very well served by train and bus
connections. Some local buses (such as Mullingar service) stop right
outside the North Campus. Most other regional bus services, Dublin Bus etc
stop in the town itself. It is about 10-15 minutes walk from the town to
the Eolas Building. The train station [2] is located on the banks of the
Royal Canal and is about 15 minutes walk from the Eolas Building.

Where can I eat? Unfortunately, the University is a quiet place during the
weekend when most of the student and staff population are off campus.
Therefore there are little or no dining options. However, Maynooth main
street has many great bistros and cafes. All are very nice and good value.
A personal recommendation for a nice lunch is Picaderos [3] at the east end
of the Main Street. If you are bringing a lunch it is OK to eat your lunch
in the meeting/Eolas Foyer.

What about WiFi? There is a Maynooth University Guest WiFi Network which
does not require any specific logon. This should be sufficient for laptop
and smart-device users. If really necessary we can logon to the desktop PCs
in Eolas 019.

Coffee? Thanks to our Head of Department the Computer Science Department
are providing a cup of tea/coffee and biscuits for delegates at around
13:00. It will be served in the Foyer right outside Eolas 019.

What can I see? If you have some time to spare in the afternoon I can
recommend the South Campus of the University for an afternoon stroll. There
is some beautiful architecture and wonderful grounds with trees in full
Autumn colors on display.

As both a lecturer in the Dept of Computer Science, a member of the Irish
OSGeo Chapter and an OSM mapper and researcher I extend a warm welcome to
you all.

See you tomorrow,

Peter

[1]