[Java-collab] Style Sheet For Java FOSS Coding

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 11:20:05 EDT 2008

I'm thinking about the preparation of a short document with code style
tips for Java FOSS programming.

There is the concise way to code something, and then there is the way
to code something in a manner that will
makes it more understandable for the guy that has to come behind you.

I think this is probably more important in FOSS programming than it is
in "normal" or proprietary programming.

I'm not talking about where you put the curly braces or other stuff like that.

I'm talking about things like using the "this" keyword when
appropriate, avoiding long method call chains in the argument list of
a method call, and avoiding complicated groups of statements with no
comments indicating the purpose or desired result.

I realize not everyone will agree that code should be written for
clarity at the cost of some conciseness. However, if you have some
style suggestions that I could consider and include in the sheet I
would welcome them. (I'm not looking for stuff that is in the existing
Java style books. I have those. :] I'm looking for suggestions that
deal with the type of clarity that becomes critical in open source
programming, especially when a the next maintainer or contributor
might not be a programming professional.)

The Sunburned Surveyor