[Java-collab] Looking for non-propriety TIN file formats for GIS application

Christopher infinityedge at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 21:13:44 EDT 2008

I am one of OpenJUMP’s Google Summer of Code 2008
students and am implementing TIN functionality in
OpenJUMP this summer. As part of the project, I’m
coming up with a binary file based intermediate TIN
representation. I am basing this file format on
vterrain.org’s ITF
(http://www.vterrain.org/Implementation/Formats/ITF.html)
but with a couple of differences. The first addition
is having a connectivity table that has three ints for
each triangle that are indices to neighboring
triangles. The other main differences are the addition
of a breakline and border section at the end of the
file. These additions would make the file format much
more applicable to GIS analysis.

Is there any other non-propriety binary formats that
would accomplish my goals? If not, is my approach the
most elegant ways to do things?

Thank you for your feedback,
--Christopher DeMars