[Geotools-devel] [Java-collab] ISO19115/ISO19111 VerticalExtent/VerticalCRS and Multidimensional Coverage

Daniele Romagnoli daniele.romagnoli at geo-solutions.it
Fri May 30 07:44:34 EDT 2008

Hi Martin,

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Martin Desruisseaux <
martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> Daniele Romagnoli a écrit :
> > (...snip...)
> > VerticalCRS (as defined in 19111) which can't be used to handle
> > ellipsoidal height since this height only lives within a 3D
> GeographicCRS.
> > Under these conditions, how should I handle the 3rd component of a
> > GeographicCRS to follow the 19115/19111?
>
> As far a 19111 is concerned, 3D and 4D CRS should be handle as CompoundCRS.
> Or
> to be more specific, you need to build an array on SingleCRS of length 2 or
> 3:
>
> General case *except* GeographicCRS with ellipsoidal height:
> SingleCRS[] components = new SingleCRS[] {
>     horizontalCRS, // Typically a 2D GeographicCRS or a ProjectedCRS
>     verticalCRS,
>     temporalCRS
> };
>

> Special case for a GeographicCRS with ellipsoidal height:
> SingleCRS[] components = new SingleCRS[] {
>     geographicCRS,  // Shall be 3D.
>     temporalCRS
> };
>

> Then, give this array to the CompoundCRS constructor.

Yes, this is the approach I thought to use.

> > (...snip...)
> > Now I'm not sure about the meaning of that SC_CRS. It is referring to a
> > general CRS containing a "height related" component (Such as a 3D
> > GeographicCRS or a CompoundCRS)?. Or the SC_CRS has been used to
> > indicate the base class of a VerticalCRS to point out that the Datum
> > class is no more needed)?
>
> The SC_CRS object mentioned in ISO 19111/19115 is called
> CoordinateReferenceSystem in GeoAPI. This mapping between the GeoAPI name
> and
> the original ISO 19111 name is documented in the following annotation:
>
> @UML(identifier="SC_CRS", specification=ISO_19111)
>
> which appears just before the class declaration:
>

> http://geoapi.sourceforge.net/snapshot/javadoc/org/opengis/referencing/crs/CoordinateReferenceSystem.html

Sorry, I have badly expressed my doubts about the CRS role in the Vertical
context and maybe I was too brief.
Can I "link" the VerticalExtent to a CompoundCRS (extending SC_CRS) which
should contain a GeographicCRS or a VerticalCRS, to identify the CRS of this
vertical extent?

Regards,
Daniele

> <http://geoapi.sourceforge.net/snapshot/javadoc/org/opengis/referencing/crs/CoordinateReferenceSystem.html>
> Actually the naming and class hierarchy in ISO specifications are a little
> bit
> convolved regarding that "CRS" class for historical reasons (compatibility
> and
> interoperability between ISO 19111 and ISO 19115 because the later defined
> objects that duplicate ISO 19111).
>
> VerticalCRS extends CoordinateReferenceSystem and thus inherit a datum
> field.
> You can invoke VerticalCRS.getDatum() in order to get the VerticalDatum.
>

> http://geoapi.sourceforge.net/snapshot/javadoc/org/opengis/referencing/crs/VerticalCRS.html#getDatum()<http://geoapi.sourceforge.net/snapshot/javadoc/org/opengis/referencing/crs/VerticalCRS.html#getDatum%28%29>
>
> > Maybe the ISO 19115 VerticalExtent could be related to a more general
> > CoordinateReferenceSystem within it lives instead of a VerticalCRS.
>
> ISO 19111 defines a "domain of validity" for every
> CoordinateReferenceSystem. So
> it is possible to invoke VerticalCRS.getDomainOfValidity() in order to get
> an
> Extent. Whatever this extent is relevant or not is left to
> implementations...
>

> http://geoapi.sourceforge.net/snapshot/javadoc/org/opengis/referencing/ReferenceSystem.html#getDomainOfValidity()<http://geoapi.sourceforge.net/snapshot/javadoc/org/opengis/referencing/ReferenceSystem.html#getDomainOfValidity%28%29>

>        Martin

Eng. Daniele Romagnoli
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.