[Geotools-devel] [Java-collab] ISO19115/ISO19111 VerticalExtent/VerticalCRS and Multidimensional Coverage

Daniele Romagnoli daniele.romagnoli at geo-solutions.it
Fri May 30 09:36:00 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Martin Desruisseaux <
martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr> wrote:

> Daniele Romagnoli a écrit :
> > Can I "link" the VerticalExtent to a CompoundCRS (extending SC_CRS)
> > which should contain a GeographicCRS or a VerticalCRS, to identify the
> > CRS of this vertical extent?
>
> VerticalExtent can be linked to a VerticalCRS through the
> VerticalExtent.getVerticalCRS() method, and the opposite way is possible
> too
> through the VerticalCRS.getExtent() method. But I'm not sure to understand
> the
> issue. You would like to link VerticalExtent to a CompoundCRS rather than
> VerticalCRS? Current API do not allows that since the link is rectricted to
> VerticalCRS type...

When in my previous email I have expressed my doubt about the SC_CRS
meaning, I was indeed talking about this constraint.
Row 358 of ISO 19115:2003/Cor.1:2006 provides a role name "verticalCRS"
which is associated to a "SC_CRS" domain. So, it isn't possible to use a
SC_CompoundCRS or a SC_EngineeringCRS (both are SC_CRS) for the verticalCRS
link? I thought that the specification has should explicitly state
"SC_VerticalCRS" instead of "SC_CRS".

Regards,
Daniele

> However CompoundCRS can be linked to an Extent, and giving an Extent we can
> invokes getVerticalElements() for fetching the VerticalExtents, and invoke
> getVerticalCRS() on those. Would it be applicable?
>
>        Martin

Eng. Daniele Romagnoli
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.