[Java-collab] First contents in osgeom repository

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Tue Aug 11 03:49:15 EDT 2009

Hello Jody

Jody Garnett a écrit :
> I hope to compare the proposed interfaces against GeoAPI - since I do
> not have a copy of ISO 19107 to check against. I believe you had a
> student working with you who we invited to take part? Perhaps this
> would be of interest. We can talk on the geoapi list about ways to
> help - one of the big ones would be using to osgeo membership in OGC
> to get the ISO documents in the hands of more people; or to give up on
> the ISO specifications as a broken model for open collaboration.

Actually the availability of ISO specifications to anyone is a case-by-case
question. OGC tries very hard to get the ISO specifications open to anyone, but
they have to negotiate with ISO. They do succeed in some cases. For examples ISO
19111 is available freely as an OGC document:

     http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=6716

Sometime a specification available only from the ISO store become freely
available at OGC a little bit later. This is the case of ISO 19123 for instance,
which was long available only from ISO but is now available freely as an OGC
document:

     http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=19820

ISO 19107 is not yet available as an OGC document, but it doesn't means that
they will not become so. But in the main time, yes comparing with GeoAPI is an
indirect way to check the conformance with ISO 19107, and this is one of the
goals that GeoAPI tries to achieve.

	Regards,

		Martin