[Java-collab] Re: geometry next steps

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 08:58:44 EDT 2009

On 20/08/2009, at 7:13 PM, Markus Schneider wrote:
> 1. Remove all topological and spatial analysis methods in the
> interfaces from the SVN for now, so we can focus on
> sanitizing the model. Of course we would take on the operations
> subject again, when we find consensus here.

That sounds fine.

> 2. Add factories. I would like to add two factories similar to the
> ones in the deegree 3 SVN:
>
> SFS geometries:
>
> - http://download.deegree.org/deegree3/nightly/core/javadoc/org/deegree/geometry/SimpleGeometryFactory.html
>
> ISO 19107/GML 3

A slightly different suggestion:
- one factory that directly creates the model with no logic
- two builders - SFSBuilder and GMLBuilder

The reason for the separation is to allow implementation writers to
focus on a single factory class which they need to implement to hook
up their implementation.

> 3. Add a basic implementation that is just a bean representation
> without operations. We could finally start to add JUnit
> tests then.

Perfect.

> 4. Add GML parsers/exporters. I understood that one may want to keep
> this aspect out of the repository, but I don't see
> how we could test the difficulties in representing GML geometries
> (e.g external xlinks) without this. It also would make
> setting up geometries for testing much easier. Maybe we could keep
> the GML parsing/exporting isolated from the rest of
> the code.

I think it will be stronger if we provide a couple parsers/exporters.
I am keen to adapt a WKTReader I have from the geotools geoemtry code
for example. I hope we can touch basis with Justin when he comes back
and look at getting bindings together for the geotools streaming
parser / encoder (although perhaps Ben could help with this?).

> A huge benefit would be people can actually start to put the library
> to use -- and this will most likely add momentum to
> the whole project.

Agreed.

>> Actually do we have a place where we could publish the javadocs; we
>> would get more feedback from this email list if there was a link to
>> javadocs to review.
>
> Can you make sure that the javadoc target works? We can set up an
> automated build process and publishing of the javadocs
> (probably next week). BTW, the deegree 3 geometry javadocs can be
> found here:

It works (with a lot of warnings) it was one of the ways I reviewed
the interfaces.

To try it yourself write:mvn javadoc:javadoc

This is actually one "report" out of the much larger "mvn site" target
documented in the readme.html.

Jody