[Java-collab] Fwd: [Geotools-devel] Java-collab meeting on geometry

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 03:43:01 EDT 2009

Forward from GeoTools-Devel:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rob Atkinson <robatkinson101 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Geotools-devel] Java-collab meeting on geometry
To: Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
Cc: Geotools-Devel list <geotools-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>, Ben
Caradoc-Davies <Ben.Caradoc-Davies at csiro.au>

I cant make this meeting at short notice, but I'd like to express my
support for the idea of collaboration.

The similarities between Deegree and Geoserver lead to quite
reasonable questions of "which horse do I back", which may result in
failure to commit to anything - having a collaboration makes it look
like both products are going to be around IMHO - i.e. they are not
just duplicating effort but have some different characterisitcs.

The main technical point I'd like to make is the use of a formal data
model (eg ISO 19107) is important for people developing domain data
models - its much harder for uys to care about the particular model an
implementation chooses (this week) - so most of the WFS applications
will want to have geometry models grounded in ISO 19107. This needs to
be the full spatio-temporal support, so things like DirectPosition
can't be blithely assumed to be 2d, or even 3d.

While we are at it, at some stage we'd like to see support for ISO
topology at some stage, so the solution should not close that door.

Rob Atkinson