[Java-collab] IRC Meeting followup

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 00:01:02 EDT 2009

Hi Landon:

I have talked to Martin a bit (mostly around the technical steps of
breaking apart Geometry into two layers: Geometry and Operations - in
order to share operations implementations between a SFSQL and ISO19107
implementations). We both estimated costs (he was half my cost) and
have been looking for sponsorship for a couple of years. I have also
been sending interested parties his way as recently as last month; but
without money on the table I suspect the really great way forward is
closed off to us.

So lets sneak up on it slowly with this java-collab geometry project
:-) It is easier to get funding if we can point to an existing effort
after all.

So far I have gone over the geotools-collab agreement
(http://docs.codehaus.org/download/attachments/9765352/GeotoolsAssignmentToOSGeo.pdf?version=1)
and it just mentions assignment to OSGeo; and that the code will be
stored on GeoTools servers. This is fine to use as is ... to store the
geometry code in a "spike" directory (where GeoTools has often
supported collaboration experiments in the past).

I would appreciate  your take on the OSGeo Labs steps required.

Cheers,
jody