[Java-collab] OpenJDK tips, tricks and traps

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 22:29:52 EST 2012

Afternoon all:

The OSGeo Live DVD project has been looking at the end of the road for oracle/sun Java support on linux. Apparently OpenJDK will be the reference implementation for Java 7.

Can I ask how (or if) projects are considering migration?

I had thought about asking if OSGeo hardware could be used for a jenkins build box; but it appears as if there are some other free options around (i.e. jenkinshosting.com (http://jenkinshosting.com/)).  Perhaps one of these could be configured with OpenJDK for testing purposes.

I also note that that OpenJDK is "almost" available for mac (http://openjdk.java.net/projects/macosx-port/) - has anyone tried it out?

Happy hacking to everyone in the new year--
Jody Garnett