[Java-collab] Re: [Geoapi-devel] Implementations of Feature available?

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Mon Mar 26 07:17:44 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Jody Garnett <Jody.Garnett at lisasoft.com> wrote:
> That can be a bit of fun Josh due to license issues.
>
> While I was at refractions we did port two parts of JCS:
> - graph --> ported to the LGPL geotools graph module (which uses an earlier copy of the GeoAPI feature model).
> - line matcher - ported to the LGPL uDig community module section
>
> You should take up this discussion on the OSGeo java collab email list.

(Jody, second attempt after joining list)

By license issues I take it you're referring to the fact that JCS is
under GPL, which is unattractive to commercial users? While I believe
LGPL is a preferable license, this is a hobby of mine so I don't have
the time to port JCS, and the application (JOSM) and nearly all
plugins are GPL anyway. I'd like to know if other people are
interested in this library, and if they're willing to put forth the
effort to create a new conflation library under LGPL, then I'd be all
for that. Right now the only functionality from JCS that I'm
interested in is the polygonmatch package, and hopefully at some point
the road matching package.

Thanks,
-Josh