[Java-collab] JUMP Lib and GeoScript

Justin Deoliveira jdeolive at opengeo.org
Fri Oct 5 17:19:11 PDT 2012

Hey Landon,

A java geoscript implementation has been an idea that has floated around.
The idea behind geoscript is to provide a higher level api for geotools
that is much easier to use and focused purely on convenience for
scripting languages. The same could certainly apply to straight java as
well.

I admit I am not up to the latest on how OpenJUMP and geotools fit
together. Does OpenJUMP utilize geotools in any way?

Anyways, certainly interested in continuing the conversation.

-Justin

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Landon Blake
<sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com>wrote:

> I recently posted a message to the OpenJUMP and deegree Project
> mailing lists about organizing an effort to extract core parts of
> OpenJUMP (especially the simple feature model) into a stand alone
> library called JUMP Lib. (My original message is here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CALJ1OBUVo3AtKykAP6MqX%2BuO5d--pMDZdFq0cFPizJ2HZoJSCw%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=jump-pilot-devel
> ).
>
> Jody Garnett was listening in. He mentioned the simple feature model
> in OpenJUMP was fairly close to the one in GeoScript, and suggested
> that GeoScript would benefit from a Java implementation of its API. I
> know very little about LocationTech, but with Jody's encouragement I'm
> trying to explore common ground and opportunities for collaboration.
>
> I posted a message on this topic to the LocationTech mailing list, but
> I wanted to post here as well. I'm trying to avoid doing a bunch of
> independent work before I talk to potential collaborators.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Landon
>
> PS - My message to Jody about the challenges to this approach,
> including the use of wrappers, is here:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=29929818

Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org