[Lexicon] moving forward: near term schedule...

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 20:14:36 PST 2019

Thanks Reese for sharing these suggestions. This works for me.

To fill people in on some of the pre-list history.

The original OSGeo Lexicon concept sprung from an idea (from Felicity
Brand) that we create a collective OSGeo Glossary. After floating the
idea publicly, Reese Plews and Ron Tse reached out and let me know about
how progressed they were with the ISO TC211 https://www.geolexica.org/ .
In particular, they offered to provide all the software and processes,
ready to go, for use by OSGeo.

Needless to say, I was super excited, and this spawned the setting up
this OSGeo Lexicon Committee, which would be needed to manage the
processes behind the terminology.

And so here we are, with Reese's plan below, and quite a sizable
community on list, with many names I recognise and respect. I think we
have plenty of challenges ahead, but I think we are off to a good start.

Warm regards, Cameron

On 30/11/19 1:02 pm, Reese Plews wrote:
> hello everyone,
>
> there have not been any more subscription requests for the past few
> days now, so i think the initial core group members have registered.
> thank you again for your interest.
>
> due to the end of year holidays, along with commitments to meetings
> and projects, i propose we begin our main discussions in late January
> or early February 2020.
>
> before that time, i will work to prepare some drafts of the initial
> work tasks/process flow documentation that was originally discussed
> prior to the official start of this group.
>
> roughly this work consists of:
>
> 1) description of how the committee should draft terminology entries;
> idea to base this on some simple and clear predefined practices
>
> 2) refine the flow of how the committee works with a terminology
> entry;  (from discovery, discussion, agreement, and publishing to
> osgeo.geolexica.org <http://osgeo.geolexica.org>)
>
> 3) learn who our users are/will be and if we are meeting their needs
>
> to enable collaboration with the members of this group, the plan is to
> work on these documents online, using google docs/sheets.
> once some finalized materials are ready these could be shifted to our
> Lexicon wiki page or retained on google.
>
> since the list is visible to non-members through the archive, the
> shared links will be set  for RO with the ability to comment.
> if anyone wants to do more than comment, you can contact me off-list
> and i will give you access to the documents.
>
> some of you have provided links in your introduction messages. i will
> assume those links are public and can be shared in any documents.
>
> once the drafts are ready for comment, i will send around the links.
>
> thank you for your patience. talk with you again soon.
>
> reese

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254