[Liblas-devel] .net/mono bindings in c#

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Aug 14 04:51:33 EDT 2008

Martin Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi:
>

>> - I try create a tutorial in c# but trac don´t recognize the c#
>> syntax. I try use it like cpp syntax, but it´doesn´t work either,...
>
>>  I've fixed it to color syntax as for C++
>
> I try it but I did´t get it, thank you so much!!!

Remember, to indent source code with a space, then code-block directive
works.

>> Martin, are you going to add your .NET/Mono stuff to the official
>> building configuration for Linux (configure.ac + Makefile.am files) and
>> for Windows (nmake.opt + makefile.vc files) ?
>
> Nmake for .NET????

Yes. NMAKE is general purpose tool and it can control any tasks, also
building .NET DLL.

> C# don´t need c or c++ code to create bindings. It´s totally different from
> ruby or python bindings where you have a CAPI to add methods, classes, and
> so.

But you call libLAS C or C++ API from the C# bindings, don't you?

> In .net and mono you create a .NET DLL independent of native shared
> libraries using the pinvoke system.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc164123.aspx
> [...]

I know how to create .NET managed layer for native libraries using
P/Invoke, this is perfectly understood to me.

> In the .NET and MONO communities people use vc# projects and monodevelop and
> shardevelop can open this projects:
> http://www.monodevelop.com/Main_Page
> http://sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx

But you don't have to run IDE to build them.
You can use VC# project files from command line:

devenv.exe myprj.sln

Anyway, please document on the Wiki how users should build .NET bindings.

> .NET/MONO EXEs and DLLs are 100% portables without a problem.
>  http://www.mono-project.com/Supported_Platforms
>
> I don´t find very useful autotools here, but perhaps I am wrong.??

Autotools is software building controller it has nothing to do with
wrapping particular API. You can use Autotools for any repeatitive task.
Autotools and NMAKE are often used for building .NET/Mono stuff, see
GDAL and FDO for example. Personally, for .NET I prefer NAnt but that's
another story.

I understand that plain .NET/Mono projects use their own dedicated
tools, but the case is to avoid too much building controlers in the project.

Best regards