[Liblas-devel] New win32 installer

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Nov 4 12:17:25 EST 2008

Neil Woodhouse pisze:
> Howard,
>
> 	It must seem like I am a pain. Sorry for that. I really want to
> use the code, but don't want to have to install everything else to make
> it happen. In terms of LAS files they are beginning to revolutionize
> what we are doing.

Neil,

I share your complains, but I think the root of the problem is in LAS
specification itself. The LAS specification *uses* some features of
GeoTIFF specification. Consequently, we - LAS implementors - have to use
elements of GeoTIFF implementation. The best GeoTIFF implementation is
available in libgeotiff. The disadvantage is obvious, that is libgeotiff
makes the chain of libLAS dependencies more complex and libLAS users
need to be provided with all of them together:
- libLAS
- libgeotiff
-- libjpeg
-- zlib

We have discussed (together with Frank Warmerdam) some ideas about
extracting CRS/projections part from libgeotiff as a tiny separate
library. Conclusion was that it's not a good idea.

To summary, I believe the current configuration is a good compromise.

Best regards,