[Liblas-devel] DebianGIS packaging; license

Martin Vales martinvales00 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 17:18:26 EDT 2008

2008/10/28 Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>

> Hi there,
>
> a few questions:
>
> - I would like to see liblas 1.0 packaged for Debian. Over at the
> DebianGIS project* we can host and help develop the build rules in our
> SVN, and give you access to the brains a number of experienced Debian
> developers, but before we can do that a question about the license..
> [*] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis
>
> - your LICENSE.txt looks fine, but the original lastools license does not.
> Specifically it lacks any permission to use, modify, or redistribute the
> code. All it says is that they hope it will be useful. Is there an email
> archived somewhere by Martin Isenburg which states the code is BSD?
> Without that the vetting crew at Debian will immediately cry foul.

Before work here in liblas project i ask directly to Martin Isenburg by
private mail i want implement a lidar library. I believe Isenburg code is
public domain or that i understood. he said me i could do what i would want
with his code. After that i find the liblas team and forget create my own
lidar library.

> - Any news or ideas on OGR integration?

Hoby and mateus (liblas main developers) i believe they work directly in
that libraries and they plan add GDAL support to liblas.

> - My current plans for liblas is to use las2txt to pipe data directly
> into the GRASS GIS r.in.xyz module*, I think that's a trivial task. So
> far that module has worked very well for very large ascii xyz datasets
> (92GB LIDAR data file, 2.4 billion data points; statistically binned
> raster surface in 4.5hrs) Now folks ask to use it directly with LAS
> data....
> [*] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/r.in.xyz.html

In this list we have to Roberto Antolin who develop the lidar tools in
grass. I believe implementation of liblas in grass is a task of GRASS
developers not the debian gis developers (only my opinion).

.