[Liblas-devel] /GR vs /EHsc

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 19:20:36 EDT 2008

On Sep 26, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I see we don't distinguish compilation flags for versions of Visual C
> ++.
> I think we should do the same what GDAL or GEOS does:
>
> nmake -f makefile.vc MSVC_VER=XXX
>
> where XXX is 1500, 1400, 1310, etc.
>
> For example, Visual C++ 7.1 uses /GX option which was replaced with /
> EHsc in later versions of the compiler.

Mateusz,

I am ambivalent about this.  Even though /GX was replaced, latter
versions of the compiler respect it, correct?  The problem with
MSVC_VER is the ease at which someone can forget to specify it as part
of the compilation.  I don't like this particular approach of GDAL and
MapServer.  It's too easy to forget.  If we had lots of switches that
were version dependent, I could see a stronger need for it, but I
don't think we should do it for a single switch that is indefinitely
supported throughout the MSVC compiler chain.