[Liblas-devel] LAS 1.3

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Apr 28 16:19:05 EDT 2009

Howard Butler wrote:
> is gonna kick our ass.
> https://lidarbb.cr.usgs.gov/index.php?showtopic=6385
>
> Specifically, a number of header and VLR sizes are now going to be
> uint64_t's rather that uint32_t's.  grr....
>
> The committee doesn't pay attention to libLAS (I think they should as
> an open reference implementation, but that's another story), so if we
> have any comments about the spec, we should collate them together,
> and I will send them on.  I have been working to get myself added to
> the committee so that I can participate in future specs, but it looks
> like we're going to have to eat this one whole :(

I have read it. My eyes opened wide. Looks like the extend of messing
specification process of ASPRS LAS has reached zenith.

Given that, there is ~~some~~ a lot of work that has to be done.

First idea that came to my mind is to encapsulate (implementation)
details of reading point data formats in form of micro-readers, lets
say, point record readers. Then, file readers could act as clients of
point readers.

This way we could easily get rid of repeated code.
Currently, for instance, reading point data format 0 is duplicated in
liblas::v10::ReaderImpl and liblas::v11::ReaderImlpl, etc.

Best regards,