[Liblas-devel] RE: reading/writing las files windows c++

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Aug 25 20:25:24 EDT 2009

Gary Robinson wrote:
> Hi-
>
> Ok I've tried a bunch more stuff, now it looks like I can have
> success if I run in release mode, but not in debug. Is there a
> package made that I can use to run with debug mode that just isn't
> posted on the website?

Gary,

Unfortunately, we (as many other projects) do not provide debug version
of binaries for Windows built using Visual C++ because according to EULA
(+ redist.txt) included in Visual Studio software, redistribution of
debug applications is not allowed.

That's why Microsoft provides only release versions of re-distributable
packages of their C and C++ run-time libraries, no debug ones are provided.

> I suppose I can recompile everything to get debug versions of the
> libraries if I really need them, but I'd rather not if it already
> exists.

If you need to debug your application, you have to build debug version
of libLAS binaries yourself. I wish to be able to help you, but there
is no solution for this issue.

This is a general problem [1] in using FOSS projects by developers
using Windows system. They have to build binaries from source to be able
to debug their applications.

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2008-July/017697.html

Best regards,