[Liblas-devel] Errors configuring liblas with libgeotiff and libgdal

Froumis, James A (US SSA) james.froumis at baesystems.com
Thu Aug 27 19:02:56 EDT 2009

Hello,

When trying to run the configure script for liblas versions 1.0.0
through 1.2.0 I am seeing an issue where using the --with-gdal switch
interferes with the configuration script's ability to find the geotiff
instance specified with the --with-geotiff switch.

I know the path I'm giving for the --with-geotiff switch is correct
because it finds the geotiff library fine when I omit the --with-gdal
switch.

I am using libgeotiff version 1.2.5, and libgdal version 1.6.1 which is
also pointing to the same instance of libgeotiff via its configuration
switches. I'm not sure if it matters, but providing the --with-proj
argument to the libgeotiff configuration script doesn't seem to make a
difference. I am using the latest SVN code for proj4. The include files
and library files are being put in my own directory as opposed to a
system directory. The lib directory being used for all supporting
libraries ([my_dir]/lib) has also been added to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable. The include directory is being set up with the
same subdirectory names that are used when installing to the system
directory, e.g. [my_dir]/include/geotiff

What might be causing this interference? I'd rather not admit how much
time I've already spent trying to figure this issue out. I had all of
these libraries playing nicely together at one point, and I just can't
figure out what changed and caused it to stop working. I've only made a
couple of very small bug fixes that don't involve any API changes or
changes to the configuration scripts.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim Froumis