[Liblas-devel] Improved SRS support in liblas

Michael Rosen mrosen at lizardtech.com
Fri Feb 6 16:16:47 EST 2009

> Proj.4 can be more expressive than WKT in many instances, but the GeoTIFF keys are our limiting factor.

If we store the SRS as a WKT can we, in principle, store all the GeoRef info in the LAS file?

> I do know that GDAL doesn't support many of the vertical datums descriptions that GeoTIFF keys have.

Are you sure?  Perhaps that was only true of older versions?
Here's the list of VCRS that geotiff supports: http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/spec/geotiff6.html#6.3.4.1
I think this is the VCRS that gdal 1.5.2 supports:  http://gdal.sourcearchive.com/documentation/1.5.2-2/epsg__vertcs_8inc-source.html

According to the Geotiff spec, there are no specific Vertical Datum codes currently defined.

msr

And this is the other side of the problem, but I don't know that this
is libLAS' problem.  Proj.4 can be more expressive than WKT in many
instances, but the GeoTIFF keys are our limiting factor.
Additionally, I do know that GDAL doesn't support many of the vertical
datums descriptions that GeoTIFF keys have.  Maybe we should be
looking at something else entirely like CS-Map.  I'll go ask on their
list and see if it would be a fit for us.

End of Liblas-devel Digest, Vol 14, Issue 2