[Liblas-devel] libLAS 1.2.0b1

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 21:51:07 EST 2009

2/25/09

All,

I am pleased to announce the release of 1.2.0b1.  Numerous
improvements have been made to libLAS in this release, including
support for LAS 1.2.  One significant API change was also made.

API Change
------------------
- LASHeader::GetProj4 and LASHeader::SetProj4 in the C++ API and
LASHeader_GetProj4 and LASHeader_SetProj4 in the C API have been
removed http://liblas.org/ticket/97

I'm willing to back out this removal if people thing it is too drastic
of a change, but I thought it would be better to get it gone now
before libLAS' usage increases significantly.  If libLAS' usage is
already high ;), and this is a problem, please let me know and we can
add it back.  These methods are no longer needed with the new LASSRS
interface.

Additions
-----------------

LAS 1.2 support has been added.  This includes RGB color support for
the two different PointFormats described in the 1.2 specification.
Nothing is currently done to alter the interpretation of the time
values, which is the only other difference that the 1.2 specification
makes. It is currently up to the client software to know and alter
time interpretation based on the global encoding value in the header.

libLAS' spatial reference system support has been dramatically
improved.  A new class, LASSRS (and its C cousin LASSRSH), has been
added to encapsulate the SRS information for LAS files.  As I've
described in earlier emails, libLAS SRS granularity will improve or
degrade depending on whether or not you link in libgeotiff or GDAL (or
nothing at all, obviously).  Get/SetProj4 and Get/SetWKT methods are
now available on the LASSRS class to create an SRS that can be added
to a LASHeader before writing into the file.

libLAS also supports the ability to link directly against a GDAL
source tree and skip linking against both libgeotiff and GDAL.  The
GDAL source tree must be used if you plan to do this, as many of
libgeotiff's headers are not included in a default GDAL build.  This
optional build approach has only been tested with the latest GDAL
trunk, as libgeotiff was recently updated there to provide the
simpletags GeoTIFF keys that libLAS uses.

Numerous other small updates and improvements.  See http://liblas.org/log/
  for a short summary.

Note that no Python release is going to be done for the betas because
it will end up superseding the current release in PyPI.   The Python
API has been updated to include LASColor and LASSRS support as well,
but it will not be released until libLAS 1.2 goes final.  If you need
to test Python, you will have to utilize libLAS trunk or one of the
beta tags in subversion.

http://liblas.org/wiki/1.2.0b1