[Liblas-devel] DLL problem with Python bindings v 1.2.1

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Oct 9 16:18:58 EDT 2009

Jason Woolard wrote:
> Just tried to get v 1.2.1 (Downloaded from PyPi)  up and running on
> Windows XP and I'm getting a DLL error:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
>    import liblas
>  File "C:\pythonxy\python\Lib\site-packages\liblas\__init__.py", line 1,
> in <module>
>    from core import *
>  File "C:\pythonxy\python\Lib\site-packages\liblas\core.py", line 118,
> in <module>
>    las = ctypes.CDLL(lib_name)
>  File "C:\pythonxy\python\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 348, in __init__
>    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
> WindowsError: [Error 126] The specified module could not be found
>
> When launching from the cmd shell it looks like the dll that can't be
> located is jpeg12_osgeo.dll.
>
> I had a similar problem with an earlier version caused by an old
> libtiff.dll but that seems to not be the case here.
>
> Any ideas?

Hi Jason,

>From what you're writing I assume you have OSGeo4W package installed.
First, check if you have jpeg12_osgeo.dll installed in OSGeo4W location.
Assuming it is on C: drive, the DLL probably is inin C:\OSGeo4W\bin

Now, try to add C:\OSGeo4W\bin to PATH environment variable, open
console and issue this command:

C:\> set PATH=C:\OSGeo4W\bin;%PATH%
C:\>python

Does it work?