[Liblas-devel] Re: liblas svn and gdal/ogr

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:10:20 EDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:28 AM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Jeff Hamann wrote:
>> Mateusz,
>>
>> I noticed the migration of the liblas project from Subversion to
>> Mercurial. Can we still check out the code using svn?
>
> Jeff,
>
> I'm not sure. Hobu?

no.  I wanted to make it easy for folks who've pulled libLAS behind
the wall to be able to still toss patches back over it (govt types,
especially).  hg does this for us in a way that svn doesn't.  I will
admit I still don't know my way around hg very well though :)

>> Also, I wondered what's the status of integrating the liblas code
>> into the gdal/ogr project?
>
> There is no such status as it has never been planned.

Not currently planned, though frequently wished for.  The biggest
stumbling block is what does LAS data mean in the context of GDAL/
OGR?  Is it vector (pure point) data with attributes, point patch data
ala Oracle Point Clouds, interpolated raster data ala DEM, TIN data?
None of these concepts map into GDAL/OGR very well except for the
raster DEM, and getting to that point is something that is not easily
automated.