[Liblas-devel] las 1.0 point data record format

jasim jasim at mail.kz
Thu Aug 12 10:45:25 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I was trying to read the binary LAS files (version 1.0)... Have read
everything from PUBLIC HEADER BLOCK and VARIABLE LENGTH RECORDS
without any problems.

Currently having difficulty reading the POINT DATA... not in the sense
that I cannot read but in the sense that I do not know which POINT
DATA RECORD FORMAT to read for every point data...

According to "ASPRS LIDAR Data Exchange Format Standard" Version 1.0,
May 9, 2003. There is POINT DATA RECORD FORMAT 0 and POINT DATA RECORD
FORMAT 1.
The only difference that I could spot is the last 8 byte double value
in FORMAT 1 is additional, also the Scale Angle Rank Format in 0 is
specified as char, but in Format 1 it is
specified as unsigned char. In the above document before the Format 1
it says the following:
"Other point data formats must be derived from the "Point Data 0"
structure with the additional data added thereafter".

Probably I am missing something, if anyone could help me?
My question is: so I read Point data in format 0, then how do I know
whether the point data is in format 0 or 1? If anyone could
clearly point to the result, I would be happy!

Thanks!