[Liblas-devel] Drivers

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Feb 25 13:01:23 EST 2010

Howard Butler wrote:
> LGPL wouldn't be the end of the world, but I think something like
> this needs to be BSD to ensure wider proprietary software uptake.
> Individual drivers could be LGPL though.

In that case, Boost license would be even better than BSD.
Boost project specified a few fundamental requirements about licensing:

http://www.boost.org/development/requirements.html#License

Next, they evaluated popular licenses if they address those
requirements properly:

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Boost_License

BSD license was also compared

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Boost_License/BSD_License

The process concluded that there is no Open Source license that
guarantees/helps to guarantee there are literally no obstacles in wide
adoption of software in any use cases
The Boost license is not restricted to use for Boost libraries.

Best regards,