[Liblas-devel] Vertical Coordinate Systems in LAS format

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Jan 11 16:07:48 EST 2010

Howard Butler wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2010, at 12:45 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I have been working on adding support for reading and writing vertical
>> datums
>> with liblas in .las files.  I have written up a sort of general
>> information
>> page on the effort, the tags used, and the suggested interface changes
>> to liblas at:
>>
>>  http://liblas.org/wiki/VerticalCS
>>
>> I am seeking feedback on the planned use of geotags for vertical
>> coordinate
>> systems, and the proposed interfaces within liblas.
>>
>> I do have this all implemented now, but there is certainly room to make
>> adjustments before it is committed.
>
> +1 from me.  Implement and push up to the main repository at your leisure.

+1 from me as well.

> I would like to see a bool LASSpatialReference::HasVerticalCS()
> implemented as well so that a user would be able to determine the
> verticalness of their SRS and alter their execution path accordingly.  I
> don't know if that would be merely a lookup of the VerticalWKT for
> VERT_CS, or something more sophisticated.  I don't like the name
> GetWKTWithVerticalCS, though I can't think of a better one.

I proposed on #liblas to merge the functions:

GetWKT(bool vertical = false)

or, even more clear to users, with enum:

// defined in LASSpatialReference class
enum SpatialReferenceType
{
   eHorizontal, eVertical
};

LASSpatialReference::GetWKT(SpatialReferenceType type) { ... }

The latter is self-describing and less logical error prone, IMHO.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net