[Liblas-devel] libLAS' Boost infection

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Jul 14 12:39:50 EDT 2010

On 14/07/10 17:28, Howard Butler wrote:
> All,
>
> Consider this your notice that Boost now a required dependency for libLAS.

Damn good move to benefit from damn good piece of software :-)

> I have been cleaning up the code in a number of places to
> use boost::shared_ptr instead of managing naked pointers,

I'd consider intrusive_ptr as alternative (performance).
libLAS has liberty to modify its own types.

> and boost::array will be working its way into a number of areas where we
> are using simple static arrays (system identifier and user id in the
> header, for example).

boost::array is portable equivalent to std::array defined in upcoming
C++0x (GCC 4.3.x or 4.4.x as well as Visual Studio 2010).
It may be a good idea to use a liblas::array alias defined as
either by boost::array or std::array depending on compiler used.

 > Boost also provides many other interesting
> possibilities, but for now, I will try to limit the requirements to
> header-only libraries.

What's the state of the large files and streams issue?

Best regards,