[Liblas-devel] Point implementation proposal

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Jul 25 19:26:09 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 08:16 -0500, Howard Butler wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2010, at 5:13 AM, Mike Grant wrote:
> >
> > If it is slow, it might make sense to provide a bulk interpretation
> > method of some kind.  Obviously one could take the raw array and
> > interpret it oneself, but that's the point of using a library.
>

> Another strong case is the committee can keep adding crap and we can provide support for it without a lot of code changes (ideally, just providing an additional XML file that lays out the fields).  This same mechanism would allow you to provide custom types as well, storing things like derivatives, 64 bit time values, etc :)

It convinces me more to the idea of separating low-level I/O from LAS
data source to very basic, so called, raw data from its interpretation
which belongs to higher level of processing.

C++ types for the raw point data should be easy to implement and will
remain fairly stable over time, I imagine.
The interpretation/schema engine will be more sophisticated
and it could be defined in form of extensible list of properties:
type + name + value.

Best regards,