[Liblas-devel] Re: las2txt question

Etienne Bellemare Racine etiennebr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 16:38:29 EST 2010

> Etienne,
>
> I am in the process of rewriting las2txt to use the C++ API (so we get the new-style filters, etc).
Great !
> I have everything done except for the header writing portion.  After looking at it a bit, I'm wondering if it is that useful in its current form.  Do you expect that las2txt output of a header should be easily parseable, or you expect it to act much like a comment block at the front of a source code?
I'd say it should be easily readable with other tools like a csv
reader/editor. That's the reason I personnaly use the las2txt (or
recommend it to others). For instance load points in PostGIS, or even
load points in a GIS (when the las2shp is unreadable -e.g. in ArcGIS).
> As it is right now, las2txt's header output does neither very well.  It would be quite simple to have las2txt output libLAS' xml-ification of the header if the user specified a --header argument in the invocation.  Would this be useful?
In my case, I'd say no. It is not usefull because the people that need
txt file are not going to use an xml parser. I'd say the the design
should be targetting something simple at least by default. Output one
file, maybe that option could be useful, for other purposes, but I find
it quite complex for the name of the tool or the use cases I have in mind.
> Or is the intention that the header in the front of a .txt xyz LAS file is must cursory information that can't actually be used to get back to the original LAS file?
I'm not sure I understand well your question, but I think I see the
las2txt as an end. I use it because I need a file I can read with a text
reader. If I want to manipulate the file to create a new las file, I
should do it using with appropriate tools like python for instance.

Hope it helps you.

Cheers for the rewriting,
Etienne