[Liblas-devel] las2las2 vertical crs VerticalCitationGeoKey

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 6 10:46:18 EDT 2010

Allan Adair wrote:

>       VerticalCitationGeoKey (Ascii,47): "North American Vertical Datum
> of 1988
> (NAVD88╠"
>       VerticalDatumGeoKey (Short,1): Unknown-5103
>       VerticalUnitsGeoKey (Short,1): Linear_Meter
>       End_Of_Keys.
>    End_Of_Geotiff.
>
> *Ignoring the error messages at the beginning of the output, I see that
> there is a symbol at the end of the "VerticalCitationGeoKey". I get the
> same issue if I alter the text, the last character is not visible and is
> replaced with the same unwanted piece of data. Outside of aesthetics,
> will this affect how the vertical reference information is interpreted
> by software that supports these tags?

Allan, and others,

I can confirm that the corruption of the vertical datum citation is now fixed
in trunk per the ticket:

   http://trac.liblas.org/ticket/188

I'm going to review this problem:

C:\>lasinfo output.las
ERROR 4: Unable to open EPSG support file gcs.csv.
Try setting the GDAL_DATA environment variable to point to the
directory containing EPSG csv files.

to see if the error message really needs to be spouted.

Basically what happens is if the coordinate system is an EPSG code it
needs supporting files to lookup the code and get the full coordinate
system definition.  The message you see is coming from GDAL's
OGRSpatialReference class to indicate that these files cannot be found.
As the message indicates you can set the GDAL_DATA environment variable
to point to these data files (distributed in the gdal<version>/data
directory of GDAL source trees and often installed in
/usr/local/share/gdal on unix).

Hmm, on reflection I think the error message is appropriate and it
would be wrongheaded for me to hide it.

Best regards,