[Liblas-devel] problems with lasblock and big datasets

Hugo Ledoux h.ledoux at tudelft.nl
Fri Sep 10 03:47:31 EDT 2010

Greetings,

While testing lasblock yesterday (code checked out a few days ago and
compiled under Linux 4.4) I ran into a problem with a big dataset:

hugo at TUDLEDOUX:~/data/las/ahn2_original/gefilterd$ time lasblock -c
10000 -p 3 bigone.las
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::length_error'
   what():  vector::reserve
Aborted

real    0m5.066s
user    0m4.620s
sys     0m0.432s

Reading how lasblock works, I did expect it to struggle with very large
dataset, but here it crashed after 4s. The dataset "bigone.las" has ~280
million points, and is 5.3GB. With smaller datasets (~20M points) it
works flawlessly.

Is it simply that allocating 2 arrays of 280M is too much and then it
aborts?

Thanks for your help,
Hugo