[Liblas-devel] Open source lidar software?

Peter Bunting [pfb] pfb at aber.ac.uk
Wed Apr 6 14:12:54 EDT 2011

I've been developing some tools which I published last year, although the websites (http://www.spdlib.org/,  http://spdpointsviewer.sourceforge.net) and documentation (what little I previously wrote) are currently out of date, as I've undertaken a significant rewrite of the software to support the storage and processing of full waveform data over the past few months. I am just preparing to release this version as the released version of the project along with some initial documentation.

The primary output is the Sorted Pulse Data (SPD) library (http://www.spdlib.org/) which provides tools for converting LiDAR data from various formats to the SPD format we've defined, within a HDF5 file, and tools for processing the data in this format. The 'sorted' part of the name refers to a grid based index within the file, allowing 'image like' random geographic access to the data. Additionally, in the new version (svn trunk not the released version) the laser scanning data is stored and manipulated as pulses (either with discrete returns, waveform or both) rather than as individual returns - I've found this has a number of advantages but has increased files sizes.

Additionally, I have also developed a viewer (http://spdpointsviewer.sourceforge.net) which takes advantages of the index and pulse based data structures and is written on top of the spdlib software using QT for the GUI so it should be fully cross platform (I've only run it on Mac and Linux to date). Again, the website hasn't been updated yet with details of the latest version and the release (mac binary) is based on the pre-pulse based spdlib but the screenshots and videos are still valid. Although, a more recent video demoing the visualisation of the full waveform data is available here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebb8uSHF5wg.

Both of these projects are under active development, supporting our research, but the recently rewritten library still requires a fair bit more testing before I would call it 'stable'.

Pete

Dr. Peter Bunting; Lecturer; Earth Observation
pfb at aber.ac.uk
Institute of Geography and Earth Science, Llandinam Building,
Aberystwyth University, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3DB, UK
Tel: +44 1970 621861
Fax: +44 1970 622659
Mob: +44 7917 842743