[Liblas-devel] libLAS/libPC -- looking for funding, sponsorship

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 11:45:47 EDT 2011

I would add that I expect the scope of libPC is to focus almost *exclusively* on being a "GDAL for Point Cloud data" too.  It is going to try to hand off where appropriate to PCL <http://www.pointclouds.org>, GRASS/Fusion, and LAStools where appropriate.  libPC is going to start out focussing on format conversion and processing pipelines. The immediate format support will include Oracle, MG4, LAS/LAZ, BAG, and XYZ.

> 2. From a market perspective, libPC is "version 2" of libLAS.  The actual
>   code base will be different, however, and the APIs will not be
>   compatible.

I would say that libLAS : Shapelib :: libPC : GDAL.  It didn't make sense to keep gunking up libLAS with things like Oracle drivers and such, which may or may not have applicability for people doing LAS.  libLAS is also a point-at-a-time affair, and libPC works chunk-at-a-time (with variably-defined schemas).  This has some performance benefits but adds a little bit of complexity.

Source code is at http://hg.libpc.org/main if you're interested in a look :)