[Liblas-devel] Las2Oci problems

T.J.F. Commandeur daboytom101 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 15 09:01:03 EDT 2011

Hi all,

For scientific research I created another kind of Lasblock based on spatial
finalization by M. Isenburg (spfinalizer).
This program is able to process larger point clouds and has a low memory
footprint based on a quadtree structure.

When the program is done it creates either separate las files for every
block or a las and kdx file.
Now these are created I want to load them to an Oracle spatial SDO_PC with
Las2Oci.

I am using libLAS from OS4geo on windows, during the usage of Las2Oci I
found some strange things.

-          When writing las to a database using a kdx file Las2Oci tends to
duplicate the last block written to the database (kdx created by Lasblock).

-          Las2Oci loads the complete kdx file into memory which seems quite
insufficient for memory usage. Can't the kdx be read line by line (block by
block) instead of completely at once?

-          When executing Las2Oci without a kdx file but with multiple las
files it creates a new point cloud for every file. There is no option to add
new blocks to an existing point cloud instead when using multiple las files.

Is there a solution to these problems? Do I need to change my workflow for
using Las2Oci to indeed add las files to an existing point cloud in the
database?

Kind regards,

Tom Commandeur