[Liblas-devel] build problem OS X

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 11:56:08 EST 2011

On Feb 13, 2011, at 10:06 AM, Stuart Edwards wrote:

> Hi ~
>
> I'm trying to install libLAS-1.6.0 on OS X 10.6 and have run into a problem during build.  First though, congratulations on the amazing install documentation without which I (a non-programmer) would never have got even to this point.  Everything has gone according to the instructions so far - I've installed boost, cmake and laszip-1.0.1 (actually not mentioned in the documentation).  The configure process has completed successfully for the base and optional libraries, but at build I get seven errors that causes build to fail - I'm trying to build lasinfo, as directed.
>
> The errors all occur in point.cpp.
>
> 1.   Four are missing ";" before "}"  ( at lines 498, 514, 530, and 571) These are all in conjunction with "#endif" statements and adding a seemingly redundant ";" before the "}" makes these errors go away, but may be causing other damage that I'm not aware of.
>
> 2.  Two more are similar to each other -  at lines 563, 791,
>
> e.g
>
> #ifdef LIBLAS_ENDIAN_AWARE
>     boost::uint16_t output = liblas::detail::bitsToInt<boost::int32_t>(output, m_data, pos);
>     return output
> #else
>     boost::uint8_t* data = const_cast<boost::uint8_t*>(&m_data[0] + pos);
>     boost::uint16_t* output = reinterpret_cast<boost::uint16_t*>(data);
>     return *output;
> #endif
> ;  //(note -- my ";" see 1.above)
> }
> and the error is:
>
> point.cpp:563: error: no matching function for call to 'bitsToInt(uint16_t&, const std::vector<unsigned char, std::allocator<unsigned char> >&, size_t&)'
>

> 3.  The last is:              Command /Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.2 failed with exit code 1
>
> This one is puzzling since I did set CC=/usr/bin/llvm-gcc,   and $CC yields
>
> i686-apple-darwin10-llvm-gcc-4.2: no input files
>
> Having made it this far I'd like to get this running, so if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Stewart,

Do you happen to know which version of XCode you are running?  I'm running the latest XCode (3.2.5, I think), and I can compile libLAS using both LLVM and regular g++ without a problem.  I could do so before Michael made the fixes as well.

Howard

PS, while we're doing our best to support LLVM, the version that comes with XCode is a bit old, and no libLAS developer is a daily LLVM user at this time.  We want to make sure that platform works, as it is a rapidly improving up-and-comer, but it might still lag a little bit due to cultural uptake from the project.