[Liblas-devel] Ground Modeling with RAW LiDAR and libLAS

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 09:27:55 EST 2011

On Mar 4, 2011, at 8:29 AM, francesco wrote:

> I use GRASS quite a lot, but always thought that it would be slow on vector points. I know Brovelli and her team developed some modules, I'll check on that. Good idea to use LibLAS as "driver" to turn LAS to xyz.

It would be much, much, much faster if someone wrote some glue between libLAS and GRASS (proposed here quite a while ago, but still not done <http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2008-May/037687.html>).  I would guess it would be an order of magnitude faster to ingest data if you didn't have to go through text formats to do it.

And, for this LiDAR idiot.  What is ground modeling?

Thanks,