[Liblas-devel] Ground Modeling with RAW LiDAR and libLAS

Stuart Edwards sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 10:07:55 EST 2011

I don't find it to be particularly slow .... I guess it depends on how much processing you have to do.  My uses are fairly limited so it's not a problem.

Not quite on topic, but close, and something I'm trying to figure out -- the LibLAS decoded file can provide all of the point data - not just x,y,z.  This includes identification of 1st and 2nd arrivals which helps a lot in discerning vegetal cover from the ground surface.

However, if you are going to filter on arrival time to get a ground surface data set you have to eliminate the 1st arrivals - but only if there's a second. If a second is absent (no vegetation at that location) then the 1st becomes the 'last' too.  This makes interpretation more complicated and not just a matter of separating the 1s and 2s.  I ended up writing a short script in octave to split the data into two pools - first arrivals and true last arrivals using the simple notion that a 1 is only a first if it is followed by a 2.  If not, it's a last.

 Has anyone else wrestled with this?

Stu