[Liblas-devel] liblas updates

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 11:03:49 PDT 2012

Merged.

We should probably have a liblas release soon. I never really finished up the release before and things kind of flatlined.  Is there anyone willing to take on maintenance of libLAS to make this happen? Luca?

I would also note that for Python users looking to work with LAS data, a colleague and I (well, mostly Grant) have been working on a new library at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/laspy and http://laspy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html  laspy is pure native python, and it speaks LAS 1.3/1.4 along with the ability to play really nicely with numpy, scipy, and friends.  While obviously not as fast as liblas (which itself is not near as fast as Martin's LASlib is now), it's close enough for many thing, and its convenience and ease of use make up for the processing speed in many instances.

Howard