[Liblas-devel] How can I find out which attributes are populated in a LAS file?

Kostis Kyzirakos Kostis.Kyzirakos at cwi.nl
Fri Jul 10 04:17:37 PDT 2015

Hi there,
I am using the C api of liblas to ingest LAS/LAZ files. The files that I
want to ingest do not have a consistent schema (i.e., all files have X,
Y, Z information, some of them have color information and some of them
have intensity information).

Is there a way to find out which dimensions are actually present in a
LAS file without accessing all points?

As far as I know, I can use the data format id to find out whether the
file contains time and color information. Is there something similar for
the other attributes? Is there a way to find out in advance if a LAS
file has information about the rest attributes like intensity,
return_number, number_of_returns?

Best regards,
Kostis