[rttopo-dev] Graph Theory vs rttopo

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Sun May 1 14:34:07 PDT 2016

Hi Andrea -

  in the past, I have referred to a document   OGC 06-103r3   this
copy dated 2006, ver 1.2
Upon reading your email, I now have a document open called
ISO/IEC CD 13249-3:201x(E)
  dated 2009, fourth edition

 The ISO document is larger than what i had seen before, and includes
each ST_xxx call.
Is it fair to say, that these standards implement  "types"
 "predicates" (verbs)  and "interface" (ST_xxx)  ?

  a quick scan of this (750 page) document for the word "distance"
shows the GEOMETRY distance,
which is good news to me.. I am suggesting geometry distance is very
important for common use..

  I will read through some of this large ISO document regarding
"Topology-Geometry"  (e.g. chapter 10)
and look for the ambiguity mentioned..

  Particularly, this rttopo library will have an interface defining
entry points, and the names of those
entry points, and the descritpions of those services, perhaps make a
place for good choices early in the project.

  Secondly, I now have a copy of the rttopo code repository, and I can
see that this is a long-standing work, with
quite a bit of completed functionality.. so I will look into that
more.. Sandro knows that I have done some
investigation of the exact details of liblwgeom under PostGIS, in
addition to non-trivial problem solving with
PostGIS itself. So the material in rttopo is not entirely new to me..

  thank you for your quick reply
  best regards from Berkeley, California
  Brian M Hamlin

ps- your english is quite readable..   :-)