[Live-demo] Next Version - New Name ?!

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 14:28:03 EST 2009

Judit, Hamish,
This is good feedback, and Judit, I'm not at all offended. In fact I'm
honoured to have your feedback.

Feedback I've heard:
* The name should be reflective of what the project does, hence the link
to osgeo or gis.
* In particular, "arramagong" is hard to remember and hence there is
resistance to using it as a name.

So what does our project do now and what might it do?

* At the core, we have scripts which package GIS software. Hence a link
to "gis". We package more than just the OSGeo stack, but we still have a
strong link to "osgeo".
* We will likely also write scripts in future to package educational
material.
* We currently distribute through a VM, and LiveDVD, click2try, hence
the name "gisvm" and "live"
* We will likely distribute a "portable" version, and probably something
else as well.
* We currently build upon Ubuntu/Debian although we do need to
distinguish ourselves from the DebianGIS/UbuntuGIS projects.

If we are to pick a generic name, which doesn't limit the project, then
I think that deriving from "live" and "gis" words works best.
But sometimes it is better to just pick a catchy name which is unrelated
to what you do, especially if the project has the potential to grow into
something else.