[Live-demo] Moving the LiveDVD to its own Trac issue tracker

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 19:04:47 EST 2009

Hamish wrote:
> Cameron wrote:
>
>> SAC,
>> Is it ok if we set up a new trac instance for the LiveDVD
>> project, and if so, what is involved?
>>

> (while I admire the enthusiam, in future it would be nice to
> discuss these things on the live- mailing list first..  or did I
> miss something?)

Hamish,
I apologise if I've jumped the gun here.
My intent was 2 fold: 1. To find out what trac options we had from SAC,
and 2. To define what we should do, from the LiveDVD list.
Hence posting to the 2 at the same time.

Feedback from Frank W. on the telascience IRC was
* He was against setting up a new instance of trac, as it requires more
maintenance.
* He suggested instead that we use the "keyword" free text tag to
specify release and version.

So if we are to create a new issue, we would set the component to
"LiveDVD" (set via the pulldown list), and keyword typed as freetext to
"arramagong_3.0alpha1" (or similar). We can then search for all keywords
which contain "arramagong_3.0" to get all issues for the 3.0 release.

Thoughts?

>> Currently, the LiveDVD project shares an issue tracker with
>> the rest of OSGeo, details at: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Issue_Tracker
>> It has its own component, "LiveDVD", which distinguishes
>> itself from "SAC", "Board", etc.
>>
>> Now that we are starting to plan our next LiveDVD release,
>> I'd like some more functionality from our issue tracker. In
>> particular, I want each ticket to specify which branch and
>> which version the ticket is referring to, so that we can
>> distinguish between releases.
>>

> as an admin on the existing infrastructure I can already do
> that, you just have to ask...
>
> As long as it can be done with default version set to blank
> (I'm pretty sure it can be) and the roadmap/version labels be
> like project:version to avoid cross-project confusion I don't
> think it would create much noise for others.
>
> All in all I'm pretty neutral on the idea though. Whatever
> folks want. As for myself, I prefer the path of least effort-
> both up front and long term- as we all live busy lives :)
>

> regards,
> Hamish

Geospatial Systems Architect