[Live-demo] Release 3.0 and 4.0 schedule + draft press release

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Sun Dec 13 18:39:25 EST 2009

Alex Mandel wrote:
> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>
>> I've put together a draft schedule at:
>> http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tMRaCwabv7SiIG3moHEfMrQ&hl=en_GB
>> And I'm interested to hear feedback on whether people think this is
>> good. Note: I have 6 weeks factored in from Feature Freeze to Final
>> Release, to allow for testing.
>>
>> Alex, I'm interested to know the dates up the upcoming conferences so
>> that we can ensure we have the 3.0 DVD ready in time for it.
>>
>> I also have a draft press release which I think we should send out in a
>> couple of days calling on projects to contribute toward the Live DVD.
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc_Press_Release_1
>>
>> Again, looking for feedback on this too.
>>

> I would suggest time flow from top to bottom, it's a little
> counterintuitive for the end to be at the top.(Maybe that's just me)

Done.
> The first conference I know for sure is Association of American
> Geographers April 14-18(OSGeo will have a booth). Marketing is working
> on a more comprehensive calendar of worldwide events that OSGeo
> participates in (Local chapter or Foundation) so this will become more
> clear over time.
>
> I think we should clarify that feature freeze means, no additional
> software & no change in version of software except to fix bugs that are
> causing the LiveDVD to fail.

That agrees with my understanding of a feature freeze.
> I would wait on the press release until we finish 1. Discussing the
> name,
As we are coming up to Christmas, I think that we are going to be tight
for time, so the earlier we start the better.
However, I agree that it would be good to standardise on a name. How do
you propose we resolve that?
> 2. Cleaning up the existing wiki pages to make navigation between
> the information clear.

I've started on cleaning up the wiki pages. What else do you think needs
to be done?
> Maybe we should try to resolve these to issues in the next week.

Agreed, I'd like to get the press release out this week, before people
start leaving for Xmas holidays. Ideally, I'd like to see the press
release go out on Wednesday.