[Live-demo] Next Version - New Name ?!

Ricardo Pinho rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br
Sun Dec 20 18:38:39 EST 2009

Dear Hamish,

I am really sorry if somehow I disappoint you guys.
This is a decision I must take to be in peace with myself.
I'm really not sure if this is the right decision... but it is something I feel I must do.

> So the "Arramagong GISVM" build becomes the "Arramagong VM" build,

That's fine to me.

> but how shall we repay your due credit?

That's a good question!
Until today I really haven't found an answer...
And that's an issue that OSGeo should think more about it.

Take this thoughts:
"If GISVM has made revenue credit to all GIS Free Software Industry, how can they re-pay the GISVM costs?"

"Shouldn't OSGeo financial support projects which have a public or common interest (like GISVM) and which would not develop or would develop at a slower pace if left to the market?"

I work on a local government, and this is the main role of public entities. It's what I do everyday, balance things between individual/Commercial interest and Public interest.
And that was what I was expecting from OSGeo, to recognize the high interest on supporting GISVM project. I suppose you call it incubation...

Since OSGeo doesn't see it, I will try public entities, like Portuguese Governement or European Commission funding. Just like others have done! (gvSIG, Kosmo, etc)
So please stay tuned to your GISVM Forum account... ;-)

And don't worry, I will use your scripts on the next releases of GISVM!
Consider it as a due credit payback! hehehe

> all we have been able to do so far is to publicly say
> "gisvm is so good that we used it"
> and "here is a link to them", along with,
> I hope, some valuable feedback,
> ideas, and exposure.

That has been very good, I really appreciate and thank OSGeo (all of you) for that!
But, for me, that's not enough. As we say here at PT, "that doesn't put food on my table!"
If people are able to keep spending time and effort at working on "Arramagong" and keep "having food on their tablet", good for them.
Unfortunately I really can't! I will keep following this project but I must limit my personal contribution.

> The fewer people who are mentioned, the less of a team project it
> appears and correspondingly the harder it is to attract new volunteer
> talent. Distilling that into one sentence without neglecting any
> individual's contribution is, as you demonstrate, not very easy.

I really don't believe on long term volunteer talent contribution!
People must be reward by it's work... and somehow manage to get money revenue from it. (directly or indirectly)

Probably on rich countries, like Canada, USA, Germany, etc people can dedicate more of their time on volunteer activities.
But that's limiting talent contribution to a reduced population.

I really hope that this project can keep improving based on FOSS4G attractiveness and keep GIS project developers spending time and talent on it.
Or we will rapidly assist to a number of Virtual appliances emerging from individual GIS projects (like opengeo)... and no one will invest on a common solution.

To finish, I must say that I was impressed by what all of you (specially Cameron Shorter, Stefan Hansen, Hamish Bowman, Jody Garnet, Alex Mandel, Judit Mays) have achieved on a short time. And admire your commitment to this initiative. I have no idea how you justify all that effort without being payed for your work. But please don't expect me to do the same thing... I can't afford that.

People must know that: "Free Software is not Free Beer"!

also just my thoughts,
Ricardo Pinho
http://gisvm.com